Biomedical Technicians at Fresenius Medical Care use their technical skills to improve the lives of our patients and their families. In this role you’ll ensure that all equipment functions properly and safely, enabling our team to provide essential dialysis treatment. This involves performing repairs, maintenance and quality checks on medical equipment, water systems and the physical plant. You’ll also purchase supplies and maintain inventory. Qualified candidates will have a strong technical background which may include an Associate’s degree or military training in electronics or biomedical technology.
Job DescriptionWashington D.C., District of Columbia | Capitol Heights, Maryland Job ID R0014263
This role covers two locations - DuPont Circle and Fairmont Heights
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Entry level position focuses on the development of Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA) in a supervised environment with the intent of developing performance and effective, efficient independent functioning under close supervision upon completion of various training processes over time. Under close supervision and consistent with completed training and qualifications, schedules and performs routine repair and maintenance activities of medical equipment, water systems and the physical plant in assigned facilities that ensures patient safety and staff operating equipment in accordance with company policies and procedures, manufacturer’s documentation, industry standards and local, state and federal regulatory requirements. Responsible for efficient use of resources related to repair and maintenance costs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under close supervision and consistent with completed training and qualifications, performs limited scope routine tasks with minimal role in decision-making and judgment, receiving detailed instruction until completion of task specific training and successful demonstration of competency, including but not limited to the following:
Repair and Maintenance:
- Performs timely routine maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair activities to dialysis equipment and water treatment systems and as required and recommended by the manufacturer and established company policy and procedures, including maintaining aesthetics of the equipment and water room.
- Coordinates and completes scheduled and unscheduled routine repair and maintenance of physical plant by company approved vendors.
- Participates in preventive maintenance of all ancillary devices assuring it follows manufacturer’s recommendations and in compliance with company policies and procedures, industry standards and local, state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Purchases and maintains an inventory of service parts using approved sources and ensures RGA and warranty parts are returned in a timely manner.
- Performs water/dialysate sample collection and processing and reviews and participates in evaluation and reporting of quality results per applicable policies and procedures.
- Documents all daily, weekly, monthly repair and maintenance activity/repairs per applicable policies and/or procedures.
- Updates project tracking or other company tracking/documentation systems as assigned.
- Participates in monthly Technical CQI/QAI process, assisting with the analysis, assembly and assimilation of information and data and contributing in technical discussion, including reporting outcomes and creating and implementing improvement plans approved by supervisor.
- Collaborates with facility staff to ensure all regulatory and OSHA requirements are met.
- Reviews water system documentation to verify compliance (i.e. readings are within parameters).
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly trend analysis on the water system, anticipating appropriate action to assure system functions as designed.
- Identifies instances where company policy and procedures are not being met including escalation of issues to next level management.
Medical Supply Inventory:
- Participates in managing Program’s Medical Supply Inventory by managing par values, making sure program has the correct inventory to support the patient treatments, performing physical inventory counts and generating a physical inventory report.
Miscellaneous, Operational and Educational:
- Must obtain and maintain water treatment equipment qualification by completing Annual Water Training.
- Supports clinical education by administering return demonstrations during Annual Water Training.
- Must maintain current required certifications.
- Monitors and reviews patient care staff’s technique for testing water system, assuring tests and documentation meet policy and comply with manufacturer’s specifications for the devices and test equipment used.
- Attends and successfully completes all technical training programs required by state/federal regulations and company policy. Refer to Biomedical Technician Career Pathway Department Operating Guideline for full list of training requirements.
- Transports equipment as needed and with supervisor consent.
- Escalates issues to supervisor for resolution.
- Other related duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness test as a condition of employment. Note that, failing the Ishihara Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
- Position involves active work including lifting, bending, walking and standing for considerable lengths of time.
- The use of dollies or other equipment is mandatory when moving heavy weight items. May be required to frequently lift items weighing up to 50 lbs. as high as 5 feet.
- There is potential exposure to chemicals and infectious materials. Scope of work includes high voltage equipment. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is provided by the company.
- Work environment is typically air temperature controlled with moderate noise levels. May be required to work in various outdoor elements.
- Evening and weekend availability, as well as ability to take on-calls are required. Overnight travel may be required.
EDUCATION AND REQUIRED CREDENTIALS:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Associate Degree in electronics / biomedical technology, or equivalent a plus.
- Valid Driver's License issued in the employee’s state of residence required.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 0 – 1 year related experience.
- Prior experience working in an industrial/dialysis/medical technical setting a plus.
- Manual dexterity required - ability to use common hand tools and small power equipment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to comprehend and communicate in the English language.
- Computer literacy with the ability to navigate through common operating systems, such as Microsoft Office products. Familiarity with SAP and TMS a plus but not required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must successfully complete all required training in the Biomedical Technician I Curriculum. Expected completion goal of the training segments is within the first 24 months of service from date of hire / job start date.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technologically savvy
I try to put myself in a position where I’m in every little aspect of what everyone is doing, so I can be an asset.Michael S., Biomedical Technician
We've got your back.
We fully believe that dedication and passion should be recognized and rewarded. That's why we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to all of our employees. Our benefits provide the flexibility, choice and support you need to be at your best as you play a vital part in helping patients live longer, better and healthier lives.
- Healthcare FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- Short/Long-term Disability
Tuition Assistance and CEU reimbursements ($500/year for full‑time; $350/year for part‑time)
Paid Time Off
Paid Time Off
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time.
- Employee Pride
- Valued Team Members
- Motivation for Excellence
- Respect & Dignity
- Openness & Trust
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(K) Retirement Saving
401(K) Retirement Saving
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
We are so glad you are interested in a career with FMCNA! What happens next?
Application & Assessment
First you will need to complete your online application. Some roles may also require an online assessment to be completed.
Then a recruiter will review the applications submitted and select those most aligned with the role to move forward. If selected, The recruiter will contact you to schedule the next step.
Next, you will participate in phone/video interview(s) with our recruiter & leadership team.
The recruiter will provide feedback to you on your interview(s) and update you on any hiring decisions.
Next, the recruiter will extend a formal offer if you are selected for the position.
Lastly, you will accept your offer and complete pre-employment checks and paperwork.
Learn more about working at Fresenius Medical Care at an upcoming hiring event near you.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.