Patient Care Technicians (PCTs) at Fresenius Medical Care support and collaborate with RNs to provide dialysis treatment to several patients at a time while maintaining the functionality of the clinic. This involves prepping and testing equipment, reviewing treatment sheets, and opening the clinic at 4am for first shift. PCTs have a combination of technical skills and genuine passion needed to develop deep relationships with patients and improve their quality of life. Qualified candidates have prior customer service, healthcare and direct patient care experience, and will have the opportunity to learn the discipline of dialysis.
- Job Level:Experienced/Non-Managerial
- Travel: Minimal
- Glassdoor: 66%
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
Job DescriptionVidalia, Louisiana
Available Openings 1
Fresenius Travel Nurse Program:
As part of the Fresenius Travel Nurse program, you’ll have a unique opportunity to build your career in a flexible, autonomous environment. Working with new and different people and personalities, and with physicians and nurses from various facilities, will make each day an exciting challenge. Through it all, you’ll make a profound difference in the lives of patients affected by kidney disease. Come join a leader in Dialysis, where assignments are ongoing, as we have over 2,200 clinics and numerous acute facility programs, so travel with us can be continuous.
- 13 week assignment
- Variety of settings
- Acute or Chronic care positions
- Top salaries
- Paid time off
- Free private housing
- Growth Opportunity
Position Specific Details:
- Anticipated Start Date:
- Expected call time:
- Machine type:
- Patient Ratio:
- Number of Chairs/Stations:
Purpose and Scope:
Functions as part of the hemodialysis health care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for patients under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse in accordance with FMS policies, procedures, training, and in compliance with regulations set forth by the corporation, state, and federal agencies. Responsible for the setup and operation of hemodialysis machines. Assist in the maintenance of a safe and clean working environment. Supports the FMS mission, vision, values, and customer service philosophy.
Duties / Activities:
Assist other health care members in providing patient specific education regarding adequacy measures where appropriate – Online Clearance Monitoring (OLC), Adequacy Monitoring Program (AMP), Access Flow Testing, Urea Kinetic Modeling (UKM), and regarding disease process, dialysis treatment and vascular access.
- Review dialysis patient specific treatment orders on the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet.
- Set up the dialysis machine using the prescribed acid and bicarbonate solutions.
- Welcome assigned patients and inquire as to their wellbeing since their last treatment. Report any complaints or observations to the nurse supervisor / team leader.
- Obtain necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight. Report unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Assist with transfer or lifting patient into and out of the dialysis char if necessary.
- Perform vascular access evaluation pre-treatment, evaluate for patency, signs of infection, or other changes and report unusual findings to nurse supervisor / team leader.
- Perform vascular access cannulation and report any difficulties in cannulation or unusual findings to nurse supervisor / team leader.
- For patients with central venous catheters, prepare the catheter for treatment initiation and termination if allowed by state law.
- Perform administration of Heparin as delegated or allowed by state law.
- Initiate dialysis treatment according to prescribed orders including blood flow (QB) and dialysate flow (QD).
- Responsible for ensuring appropriates safety alarms are enabled, including Narrow Venous Limits (NVL) 160.
- Evaluate intradialytic problems and provide intervention as prescribed by physician order or as directed by the nurse supervisor / team leader.
- Take vital signs during the treatment according to facility policy and as indicated by changes in patient’s condition.
- Monitor patients’ response to dialysis therapy and report any unusual findings to nurse supervisor / team leader.
- Obtain vital signs prior to reinfusion; perform all relevant functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment – document.
- Evaluate patient prior to termination of treatment – including performing standing & sitting blood pressure.
- Obtain hemostasis of vascular access following removal of needles and apply appropriate dressings.
- Evaluate the patient prior to discharge and report any unusual findings to nurse supervisor / team leader.
Documentation of information:
- Document all testing performed as part of maintenance or technical duties.
- Document safety checks on the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet.
- Perform and record Pre and Post dialysis evaluation, weight and vital signs with initial identification.
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients’ dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal; treatment time; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as prescribed.
- Record accurate and timely information regarding vital signs and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with initial identification.
- Responsible for documenting On-line Clearance (OLC) and Access Flow.
- Responsible for accurate documentation of information related to patient treatment including completion of Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet and, if applicable, progress notes.
- Enter treatment information from Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet into the information System.
Monitoring duties and testing:
- Report any significant information and / or change in patient condition directly to the nurse supervisor / team leader.
- Observe patient and conduct machine safety checks according to facility policy. Report any change or unusual findings to the nurse supervisor.
- Perform and document any intervention for unusual patient status and document patients’ response to intervention.
- Evaluate patient’s vascular access during treatment including arterial and venous monitoring pressures, provide appropriate intervention as needed, document and report any unusual findings to the nurse supervisor / team leader.
- Obtain all prescribed laboratory testing and prepare specimens for collection.
Maintenance / Technical:
- Maintain environmental integrity and aesthetics – ensure all areas are safe and clean.
- Assist with disposal of hazardous waste.
- Calibrate water treatment meters and Glucometer devices.
- Mix bicarbonate solution or Granuflo in preparation for dialysis treatments.
- Monitor reverse osmosis system.
- Fill dialysate solution containers.
- Conduct all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis treatment and document where appropriate.
- Perform Diasafe filter testing on machines every other week.
- Perform all required pretreatment dialysis machine alarm testing including Pressure Holding (PHT).
- Initiate Solution Delivery System (SDS) and rinse at the end of the treatment day.
- Clean and disinfect dialysis machine surface, chair, equipment and surrounding area between treatments according to facility policy.
- Ensure that all blood spills are immediately cleaned with appropriate disinfectant according to facility policy.
- Prepare, organize and efficiently utilize supplies and equipment to prevent wastage.
Clerical & Administrative:
- Participate in and document activities related to Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
- Enter all treatment data into Proton accurately and in a timely manner.
- Review treatment sheets for completeness, ensure nursing signatures are documented for medications administered, other nursing notes, and ensure omitted entries are completed or corrected where appropriate.
- Prepare initial patient chart for admission and compile paperwork for appropriate placement in chart.
- Prepare lab requisitions for prescribed or stat Lab specimens according to laboratory destination.
- Collect, label, appropriately prepare and store lab samples according to required laboratory specifications.
- Ensure collection of lab specimens by appropriate lab courier.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employees are required to take the Ishihara’s Color Blindness test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara Test Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians. The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. Travel to regional, Business Unit and Corporate meetings may be required.
The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials
The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves heavy lifting and moving of patients, and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance. This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The employee may occasionally be required to push and/or pull equipment, exerting up to 15 pounds of force. The employee may be required to lift and to lower solutions on a frequent basis of up to 30 lbs., and on an occasional lift basis up to 40 lbs., as high as 5 feet. There is a two-person assist program and "material assist” devices for the heavier items.
- Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services (CMS)-approved state and/or national certification or High School diploma or G.E.D. and must meet certification requirements within the required state or CMS timeline.
- All appropriate state licensure, education and training (if any) required.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- Previous patient care experience in a hospital setting or related facility preferred.
- Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of the FMCNA dialysis training program and successful completion of CPR certification.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Commpassionate Patient Care 10
- Empathetic 9
- Team Player 9
- Detail Oriented 8
- Efficient 8
- Responsible 7
From the patients to the staff, we are very much each other’s support system. We see the same patients multiple times a week and we get to know their spouses, children, grandchildren, moms, and dads. You get to know your patients on a human level and see how full their lives are.Bryan L., Travel Patient Care Technician
Take a Closer Look
A Day in the Life of a Patient Care Technician
Employee support, enthusiasm and engagement at FMCNA
- Healthcare FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- Short/Long-term Disability
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Defined Career Path (certifications, preceptor opportunities, salary increases at each stage)
PAID TIME OFF
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time.
- Employee Pride
- Valued Team Members
- Motivation for Excellence
- Respect & Dignity
- Openness & Trust
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(K) RETIREMENT SAVING
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.