Fresenius Medical Care nurses are on the front line of patient care, improving the quality of life of every patient, every day. That means providing dialysis care to 10-12 patients at any given time, and collaborating with our multi-disciplinary team to deliver a unique care plan to each one of them. This role is all about relationships and the bond you’ll create with patients and their families. Prior dialysis nursing experience is helpful, but many successful candidates come from a background in ICU, PCU and/or surgery.
- Job Level: Experienced/Non-Managerial
- Travel: Minimal
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
Job DescriptionSt Louis, Missouri
Available Openings 1
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Provide high quality patient care under the supervision of a physician, within the scope of training and education. Assess patient care plans and provides comprehensive patient care independently or in autonomous collaboration with other health professionals. Cooperates with other health care personnel to coordinate patient care and establish mutual goals. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Demonstrate and fosters a commitment to patient satisfaction and teamwork.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collects data to support patient assessment including taking vital signs, social history, chief complaint and current concerns.
- Alerts physician to any patient complaints, especially those that are, life threatening.
- Supports clinical functions to prepare patient for examination, treatment or procedure.
- Calls pharmacy refills and patient callbacks as directed by office protocol and as directed by a physician.
- Document all calls, correspondence and encounters with patient within established guidelines
- Utilizing the nursing process, assesses the patient’s condition, learning needs in regards to their health care, provides education as directed by regarding treatment , special diets, medication , follow-up diagnostic tests and healthy lifestyle information
- Round on patients in a dialysis setting on designated schedule.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments as directed by physician in accordance with the nursing standards.
- Performs procedures and treatments, within the scope of their training and experience, as ordered by the physician following established protocols and appropriately documents outcomes in the patient record
- Triage emergency and non-emergency phone calls with appropriate destinations (i.e.: Emergency Department etc), documents according to protocols
- Follows established protocols in obtaining, preparation and transport of specimens for diagnostic tests as ordered by the physician and using universal precaution guidelines
- Observes, records and reports patient’s condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physician
- Assists in the coordination of patient transfers to hospital (direct admissions)
- Reads, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Writes reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Presents information and responds to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Follows established protocols to report and document diagnostic tests as directed by the physician, within the scope of training and experience
- Reviews patient records and other pertinent information and takes appropriate action within nursing standards and office protocols
- Administers medications when prescribed by a physician and documents appropriately in the patient’s record
- Documents and reports clinical information or complaints taken over the phone to the physician in an appropriate manner within established timeframes
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- May escalate issues to supervisor/manager for resolution, as deemed necessary.
- Mentor other staff as applicable.
- Review and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Assist with various projects as assigned by a direct supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The work environment is a medical practice with a quiet to moderate noise level.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear, stand and walk.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- May require travel.
- Master’s Degree required
- Educated and trained at university graduate level, nationally Board Certified in specialty area based on NP licensure and state authority for advanced practice.
- Nurse Practitioner License
- CPR Certified
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 1 – 3 years' experience or 1 year of directly related Nephrology experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with software applications typically used in a medical office. This may include but is not limited to: electronic medical office systems such as; electronic medical records, scheduling programs, switchboard, credit card machines, standard office equipment and any new technology that arises.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Communicator 10
- Compassionate 10
- Detail Oriented 9
- Relationship Expertise 9
- Facilitator 8
- Leadership 8
You have to be able to count on your co-workers to help you, and I see this here every day. Everybody works together, which is better for the patients.Carol B., Registered Nurse
A day in the life of a clinic RN
Employee support, enthusiasm and engagement at FMCNA
- Healthcare FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- Short/Long-term Disability
- RN Tuition Assistance Program
- Clinical Advancement Program (four practice tiers for RNs to advance your career)
PAID TIME OFF
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time.
- Employee Pride
- Valued Team Members
- Motivation for Excellence
- Respect & Dignity
- Openness & Trust
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(K) RETIREMENT SAVING
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.