Patient Care Technicians (PCTs) at Fresenius Medical Care support and collaborate with RNs to provide dialysis treatment to several patients at a time while maintaining the functionality of the clinic. This involves prepping and testing equipment, reviewing treatment sheets, and opening the clinic at 4am for first shift. PCTs have a combination of technical skills and genuine passion needed to develop deep relationships with patients and improve their quality of life. Qualified candidates have prior customer service, healthcare and direct patient care experience, and will have the opportunity to learn the discipline of dialysis.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
Job DescriptionPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania Job ID JR0006181
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Functions as part of the hemodialysis health care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for assigned patients in accordance with FMCNA policies, procedures, and training and in compliance with regulations set forth by the corporation, state, and federal agencies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides patient care under the direct visual supervision of a Registered Nurse (FMCNA RN) or in a treatment room immediately adjacent to an RN. Responsible for reporting and documenting all new and unusual incidents, information, complaints, or problems to the RN.
- Promotes and assists in the maintenance of a safe and clean working environment. Supports the FMCNA commitment to the Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAI) Activities; including those related to patient satisfaction and actively participates in process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve the FMC Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
- Promotes and assists in meeting Total Area Productivity goals (TAP).
- With documented competency and proficiency may set up and prime equipment as directed by the Fresenius Nurse for renal replacement therapies (hemodialysis, continuous renal replacement and peritoneal dialysis therapies).
- Welcomes assigned patients and inquires as to their well-being since their last treatment. Reports any complaints or observations to the FMCNA RN.
- Evaluates vascular access for patency and reports any unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- Obtains necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight. Reports unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- (Stated above)Performs vascular access cannulation and reports any difficulties in cannulation or unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients' dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal; treatment time; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as prescribed.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled including narrow venous limits (NVL 160).
- Records accurate and timely information regarding vital signs and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with initial identification.
- Initiates renal replacement treatment according to prescribed orders including setting blood flow rate (QB) and dialysate flow rate (QD) or peritoneal dialysis as prescribed by the attending nephrologist.
- Collects, labels specimens and ensures timely delivery to laboratory per facility policy.
- Evaluates intradialytic problems and provides intervention as prescribed by physician's order or as directed by FMCNA RN. Monitors patient's response to dialysis therapy and report any unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- Obtains vital signs prior to reinfusion; performing all relevant functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment- documentation.
- Reports any change or unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- Performs and document any intervention for unusual patient status and document patients' response to intervention.
- Evaluates patients' vascular access during treatment including arterial and venous monitoring pressures, provides appropriate intervention as needed, documents and reports any unusual findings to the FMCNA RN.
- Discontinues dialysis treatment according to established procedures.
- Evaluates patient prior to termination of venous access - standing and sitting blood pressures prior to termination of venous access. Obtains hemostasis and applies appropriate dressings. Evaluates the patient prior to discharge and reports any unusual findings to the FMCNA RN
- Performs and records Pre and Post dialysis evaluation, weight and vital signs with initial identification.
- Other duties as required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Day-to-day work includes desk and personal computer work, interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
- The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. (percentage of travel)
- Travel to meetings may be required.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
- May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves heavy lifting and moving of patients, and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance.
- This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The employee may occasionally be required to assist in moving machines and equipment of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemical and water solutions of up to 30 lbs. up as high as 5 feet.
- There is a two-person assist program and material assist� devices for the heavier items.
High School Diploma required
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 1 - 2 years' related experience.
- Certified Clinical Hemodialysis Certification (CCHT) certification.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Commpassionate Patient Care
- Team Player
- Detail Oriented
From the patients to the staff, we are very much each other’s support system. We see the same patients multiple times a week and we get to know their spouses, children, grandchildren, moms, and dads. You get to know your patients on a human level and see how full their lives are.Bryan L., Travel Patient Care Technician
We've got your back.
We fully believe that dedication and passion should be recognized and rewarded. That's why we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to all of our employees. Our benefits provide the flexibility, choice and support you need to be at your best as you play a vital part in helping patients live longer, better and healthier lives.
- Healthcare FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Defined Career Path (certifications, preceptor opportunities, salary increases at each stage)
Paid Time Off
Paid Time Off
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time.
- Employee Pride
- Valued Team Members
- Motivation for Excellence
- Respect & Dignity
- Openness & Trust
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(K) Retirement Saving
401(K) Retirement Saving
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
We are so glad you are interested in a career with FMCNA! What happens next?
Application & Assessment
First you will need to complete your online application. Some roles may also require an online assessment to be completed.
Then a recruiter will review the applications submitted and select those most aligned with the role to move forward. If selected, The recruiter will contact you to schedule the next step.
Next, you will participate in phone/video interview(s) with our recruiter & leadership team.
The recruiter will provide feedback to you on your interview(s) and update you on any hiring decisions.
Next, the recruiter will extend a formal offer if you are selected for the position.
Lastly, you will accept your offer and complete pre-employment checks and paperwork.
Learn more about working at Fresenius Medical Care at an upcoming hiring event near you.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.