Fresenius Medical Care nurses are on the front line of patient care, improving the quality of life of every patient, every day. That means providing dialysis care to 10-12 patients at any given time, and collaborating with our multi-disciplinary team to deliver a unique care plan to each one of them. This role is all about relationships and the bond you’ll create with patients and their families. Prior dialysis nursing experience is helpful, but many successful candidates come from a background in ICU, PCU and/or surgery.
Job DescriptionOlympia, Washington Job ID R0023665
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Inpatient Services Charge Nurse is an additional responsibility assigned to the Inpatient Services RN, for a limited period of time, and for specific additional duties, as assigned by the Program Manager.
The Inpatient Services Charge Nurse ensures appropriate provision of Acute Dialysis Services and treatments within assigned hospitals/facilities by coordinating, scheduling, and directing Acute Patient Care staff and by performing Acute treatments as needed or directed by Program manager. Assumes the provision of quality patient care to all hospitalized patients in the most efficient manner in accordance with company policy, as well as regulations set forth by the company, state and federal agencies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under limited supervision, applies considerable complex knowledge to perform a broad range of tasks which include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts as a subject matter expert and resource for staff members on assigned Inpatient Center treatment floor.
- Normally receives no instruction on routine daily work, and general instructions on newly introduced assignment, but may escalate issues to Program Manager for resolution, as deemed necessary.
- Coordinate and schedule direct patient care staff to provide coverage of Acute Dialysis treatments in contracted hospitals/facilities and ensure efficient patient scheduling and staff utilization in accordance with the TAP scheduling tool.
- Maintain and review the daily TAP tool for all hospitals/facilities under their direct supervision and submit results to the Program Manager for review.
- Ensure all Acute treatments are performed in contracted hospitals/facilities according to the established policies and procedures, and in compliance, with all applicable regulatory requirement. Ensure accurate documentation of information related to patient treatment is entered into ACES during the time of treatment.
- Monitor on a daily basis ACES compliance.
- Perform Quality Assessment and Improvement (QAI) Program audits as directed to ensure the provision of quality patient care and compliance with all Joint Commission requirements.
- Participate in QAI meetings as requested by the Program Manager to assure proper reporting of QAI activities
- Assess daily patient care needs and communicate concerns to attending physician. Implement changes in patient care/treatment as directed and in collaboration with prescribing physicians.
- Perform Acute treatments according to current Charge Nurse Guidance recommendations and oversee all dialysis related medical and emergency functions.
- Communicates with the physician and other members of the healthcare team to interpret, adjust, triage and complete patient care plans in the most efficient and safe manner.
- Coordinate with appropriate technical staff to ensure preventative maintenance program for routine machine maintenance, to ensure the timely repair of disabled machines, to coordinate infection control measures, routine water culturing, water testing, logging of results, transportation of equipment and supplies, and communicate technical information to the staff.
- Serve as liaison between the administrative staff of each hospital/facility and the Program Manager.
- Practice cost containment strategies in all areas including medical supply inventory and personnel.
- Reviews and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Assist with various projects as assigned by the Program Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Day-to-day work includes desk and personal computer work, interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians. The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. (Travel to meetings may be required). The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials. The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves heavy lifting and moving of patients, and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance. This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The employee may occasionally be required to move with assistance, machines and equipment of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemical and water solutions of up to 30 lbs. up as high as 5 feet. There is a two-person assist program and material assist devices for the heavier items.
Inpatient Services RN's, Inpatient Services PCT's at assigned facilities
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Minimum of 9 months nursing experience; plus 3 months of specialized experience providing clinical nursing care to dialysis patients in an Acute or Chronic setting required.
- 6 months dialysis experience in an Acute setting preferred
- Demonstrated leadership competencies and skills for the position, including continuous quality improvement, relationship development, results orientation, team building, motivating employees, performance management, and decision making.
- Demonstrated management skills necessary to provide leadership in the supervision of dialysis personnel and to ensure the delivery of maximum quality care to all patients..
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) interpersonal and customer service skills.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Detail Oriented
- Relationship Expertise
You have to be able to count on your co-workers to help you, and I see this here every day. Everybody works together, which is better for the patients.Carol B., Registered Nurse
We've got your back.
We fully believe that dedication and passion should be recognized and rewarded. That's why we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to all of our employees. Our benefits provide the flexibility, choice and support you need to be at your best as you play a vital part in helping patients live longer, better and healthier lives.
- Healthcare FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- RN Tuition Assistance Program
- Clinical Advancement Program (four practice tiers for RNs to advance your career)
Paid Time Off
Paid Time Off
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time.
- Employee Pride
- Valued Team Members
- Motivation for Excellence
- Respect & Dignity
- Openness & Trust
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(K) Retirement Saving
401(K) Retirement Saving
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
We are so glad you are interested in a career with FMCNA! What happens next?
Application & Assessment
First you will need to complete your online application. Some roles may also require an online assessment to be completed.
Then a recruiter will review the applications submitted and select those most aligned with the role to move forward. If selected, The recruiter will contact you to schedule the next step.
Next, you will participate in phone/video interview(s) with our recruiter & leadership team.
The recruiter will provide feedback to you on your interview(s) and update you on any hiring decisions.
Next, the recruiter will extend a formal offer if you are selected for the position.
Lastly, you will accept your offer and complete pre-employment checks and paperwork.
Learn more about working at Fresenius Medical Care at an upcoming hiring event near you.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.