PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Staff Engineer works largely unsupervised. The Staff Engineer is involved in mentoring and teaching subordinate department or group members in order to improve their product knowledge, subject matter understanding, skills and productivity. The Staff Engineer also will be involved in setup of strategic activities, process improvements, and specific scientific studies for research and development. The Staff Engineer will often be a team leader of either internal Cross Technical Teams (CTT) or external Cross Functional Teams (CFT) and responsible to drive associated projects to completion. The Staff Engineer can also serve in a consultant role in multiple functional teams. The Staff Engineer functions as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the respective products and disciplines in which he/she is trained and expert in and may be assigned to manage various aspects of products from development, changes, improvements, replacements, etc.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads as subject matter expert in Mechanical Hardware design. Responsible for making independent technical decisions without any supervision.
- Develops technical solutions to complex mechanical problems which require regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Performs more difficult problem analyses and delegates the more routine aspects.
- Works as a team leader to manage major technical aspects of several projects, including reporting of project progress, issues and risks to supervisor.
- Write Design inputs/requirements, design plans, design specifications, DFMEAs, and technical protocols/reports in a clear and concise manner.
- Acts as primary technical contact in the company to provide recommendations towards decisions on large or long team projects and on investigations.
- Participates in periodic cross functional meetings to analyze the quality features and formulations of requirements for projects related to dialysis machines. Responsible for ensuring the engineering soundness of work performed on project by self and subordinates.
- Manages pre-development projects and provide effort estimate and feasibility report.
- May be required to check the work of technicians, draftsmen, engineers.
- Provide strong technical leadership to a mechanical team with lesser experienced engineers via mentoring.
- Review Engineering Inputs and write verification plan and verification protocols and execute.
- Write Engineering Inputs
- General understanding of material science, thermodynamics and fluid dynamics.
- Ability to interface cross functionally.
- Works effectively within organization to evaluate project results.
- Performs unstructured testing.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in related engineering or scientific discipline required; Advanced Degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 8 - 12 years' related experience; Master's degree with >6 years' related experience;
- Experience developing test and troubleshoot mechanical subsystems.
- Experience and understanding of developing drawings and ability to understand and apply ANSI standards to drawings.
- Experience and understanding in engineering materials in plastics and metals
- Experience and understanding in rapid prototyping process; SLA, SLS and CNC.
- Experience in solid modeling (Solid Works and/or Creo)
- Experience and understanding in finite element analysis
- Experience and understanding with tolerance analysis.
- Must comply with FDA Design Control.
- Ability to develop and adhere to project time lines.
- Excellent oral and written communication.
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
You do not have any saved jobs