Home Therapies professionals at Fresenius Medical Care provide education and support to patients and caretakers who have chosen home dialysis therapy. This role involves an initial visit to the homes of patients to assess home therapy readiness, as well as training and follow-up visits within the clinic environment. Successful candidates have outstanding customer service skills, a valid driver’s license and the desire to positively impact patients’ lives by empowering them to treat themselves in the comfort of their own homes.
Job DescriptionJob ID R0108301 Available Openings 1
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Functions as part of the Home Therapies dialysis health care team. Ensures provision of quality home patient care in accordance with company policies, procedures and training. Supports the company’s commitment to the Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and CQI activities, including those related to patient satisfaction. Actively participates in process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve the company’s Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides safe and effective training and oversight of the delivery of home dialysis therapies to patients in compliance with standards outlined in the facility policy and procedure manuals, as well as regulations set forth by the Corporation, state and federal agencies.
- Rotates with other licensed staff to ensure adequate coverage.
- Participates in staff training and orientation of new staff as assigned.
- Participates in all required staff meetings as scheduled.
- Provides outstanding quality of patient care, as defined by company quality goals and standards.
- Submits CQI information to Clinical Manager for completion of HT QAI Template for inclusion in facility CQI packet.
- Participates in all monthly CQI meetings.
- Assists in the identification and evaluation of candidates for the company Home Therapies Program, including assessment of patients’ home environment.
- Trains home patients and their families/significant others on the safe and effective operation and maintenance (as appropriate), of all home therapies equipment through a formal Home Therapies training program.
- Educates patients and family regarding End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and the delivery of the company Kidney Options Program.
- Assesses patient and family readiness and ability to perform dialysis treatments at home and patients’ home environment for suitability in the ongoing delivery of home dialysis therapy.
- Provides ongoing education to patients regarding their renal dialysis, peritoneal or vascular access and home dialysis therapy, and other related health conditions.
- Provides safe and effective delivery of home therapy support care to patients with ESRD.
- Assesses patients’ response to home dialysis treatment therapy by following predetermined protocols.
- Communicates patient related issues to the physician as needed.
- Reports adverse patient events at home or in the clinic as well as equipment and technology related problems to the Clinical/Home Therapies management and physician including the correct documentation of such events.
- Coordinates the transfer of patients to the hemodialysis clinic when needed and appropriate.
- Reviews, transcribes, and enters physician lab orders accurately into the Medical Information System.
- Follows company policies and government regulations related to the collection, packaging, and delivery of lab specimens and reporting of results.
- Maintains competency with all emergency operational procedures, and initiate CPR and emergency measures in the event of a cardiac and/or respiratory arrest when the patient is in the medical office.
- Administers medications as prescribed including following algorithms (as appropriate), and document appropriate medical justification if indicated and maintain records on controlled substances as required by law.
- Maintains appropriate skill level in the operation of all home dialysis therapy-related equipment, including the ability to troubleshoot equipment problems with the patient via telephone.
- Directs patients in the preventative maintenance of home therapies equipment, including water systems and analyses as appropriate.
- Coordinates with the company products division on the delivery, operation and maintenance of all home therapy dialysis equipment.
Medical Records & Documentation:
- Admits all new patients and documents as needed.
- Documents all relevant data including physician orders, lab results, vital signs, and treatment parameters, and patient status and any treatment related data appropriately, and enters into Medical Information System.
- Participates in and ensures all company policies regarding patient admission, transfer, and discharge are appropriately implemented.
- Completes all monthly and annual reporting as required by company policies and government regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians. The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. Travel to regional, Business Unit and Corporate meetings may be required.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise
levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company will consider whether reasonable
accommodations can be made.
EDUCATION AND REQUIRED CREDENTIALS:
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing (R.N.)
- Current appropriate state licensure
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum of one year medical-surgical nursing experience preferred, ICU experience preferred.
- Minimum of one year dialysis experience preferred, peritoneal experience preferred.
- Successfully complete a training course in the theory and practice of dialysis therapies.
- Competent at operating all Home Therapies related equipment.
- Successfully complete CPR certification with maintenance as required.
- Icd-9 coding Training.
- Demonstrated teaching abilities.
I acknowledge that I have read and accepted this job description. I understand what is expected of me in this position, and I am able to perform the essential functions as outlined with or without reasonable accommodation. Furthermore, I understand that the duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. If I have any questions about duties and responsibilities not specified in this job description that I am asked to perform, I should discuss them with my immediate supervisor or my Human Resources representative.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
I see these people when they start, and when they're over that hump my heart just...I can't even describe it. It's just amazing.Joanne S., Registered Nurse
We've got your back.
We fully believe that dedication and passion should be recognized and rewarded. That’s why we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to all of our employees. Our benefits provide the flexibility, choice and support you need to be at your best as you play a vital part in helping patients live longer, better and healthier lives.
- Healthcare FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
Tuition Assistance and CEU reimbursements ($500/year for full‑time; $350/year for part‑time)
Paid Time Off
Paid Time Off
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time.
- Employee Pride
- Valued Team Members
- Motivation for Excellence
- Respect & Dignity
- Openness & Trust
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(k) Retirement Saving
401(k) Retirement Saving
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
We are so glad you are interested in a career with FMCNA! What happens next?
Application & Assessment
First you will need to complete your online application. Some roles may also require an online assessment to be completed.
Then a recruiter will review the applications submitted and select those most aligned with the role to move forward. If selected, The recruiter will contact you to schedule the next step.
Next, you will participate in phone/video interview(s) with our recruiter & leadership team.
The recruiter will provide feedback to you on your interview(s) and update you on any hiring decisions.
Next, the recruiter will extend a formal offer if you are selected for the position.
Lastly, you will accept your offer and complete pre-employment checks and paperwork.
Learn more about working at Fresenius Medical Care at an upcoming hiring event near you.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.