Available Openings 1
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Responsible for meeting established distribution related quality, service, safety, compliance, cost, and management objectives in a designated distribution center. Responsibilities include dispatching, route planning, and customer interaction.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises the functions of the transportation team to ensure established goals are met while adhering to company standards and guidelines, and local, state, and federal regulations.
- Manages the transportation group staff day-to-day activities, providing developmental performance feedback as well as the annual performance evaluation.
- Ensures all employees are properly trained in Good Manufacturing Practices, Health & Safety procedures, Compliance programs (both corporate and DPD specific), and other pertinent policies and procedures.
- Implements succession-planning processes by providing developmental training opportunities to identified personnel.
- Makes the appropriate decisions to ensure the total freight and distribution operating expense budget is met on an annual basis.
- Ensures the achievement of OSHA related targets for recordable incidents and lost time incidents. Identifies trends and issues and address appropriately, including implementing corrective action procedures if necessary.
- Establishes and adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules.
- Ensures the appropriate identification, analysis, and resolution of work problems and issues by employees, providing direct analysis and resolution for the more complex issues.
- Identifies and controls fleet specific key performance indicators to ensure continuous improvement in the operation.
- Makes recommendations to improve methods, performance, and quality of service and suggests changes in working conditions to increase efficiency.
- Files claims on shortages, damages, and overages and performs follow-up as needed.
- Selects and contracts with common carriers when needed, negotiates rates to ensure the lowest possible freight charges are incurred, while meeting company service requirements.
- Oversees implementation and application of all DOT regulatory requirements including, but not limited to, Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), hours of service, and accident investigation
- Develops and implements strategies to ensure achievement of fleet utilization targets to improve customer service levels.
- Collaborates with sales, customer service, and external customers to resolve issues and drive new revenue.
- Manages and assists with key projects to develop and implement cost containment strategies while improving service and overall compliance.
- May coordinate the transfer of goods between warehouses, plants and cross-docks and schedule shipments of medical supplies with freight forward ocean carriers.
- Responsible for hiring, coaching, and counseling employees, including performance reviews, disciplinary action and terminations.
- Assists with various projects as assigned by a direct supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
May be required to lift and carry loads of up to 60 pounds.
Responsible for the direct supervision of various levels of Transportation staff.
Bachelor’s Degree required; in lieu of degree an additional 4 years of relevant experience may be considered.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Minimum 2 – 3 years of experience at a senior or lead level; or 1 – 3 years of experience as a Supervisor.
- Budgeting, forecasting, financial planning skills preferred.
- Project management experience preferred.
- Good computer skills – SAP, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with routing software/fleet management applications required.
- The ability to operate material handling equipment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
You do not have any saved jobs