Inpatient RNs at Fresenius Medical Care perform dialysis treatments on an acute patient population in a hospital setting, including ICU, ER and Med/Surg units. What makes this role truly unique is the level of autonomy you’ll enjoy. Inpatient nurses are specifically accountable for administering and assessing each patient’s treatment plan. And because dialysis is a critical treatment for many hospital procedures and health conditions, you’ll have the opportunity to work with a wide variety of patients. Ideal candidates possess leadership skills and independence needed to make quick decisions in a fast-paced environment. Six months to one year of dialysis experience and some form of critical care nursing experience are also required.
Job DescriptionJob ID R0081521 Available Openings 1
- Become a Member of the Highly Skilled Columbia Acute Team
- Provide Dialysis Treatments in a Hospital Setting
- Paid Training Provided
- Acute RN's Eligible for an Acutee Differential
About this role: As an Acute Dialysis Registered Nurse (RN) with Fresenius Medical Care, you will support patients in a hospital setting within a network of local hospitals. You will use your leadership skills and independence in administering and assessing each patient’s unique treatment plan in a fast-paced environment, working autonomously alongside the inpatient staff in ICU, CCU, and ED units.
How you grow or advance: As an Acute Dialysis RN, you will enter our Clinical Advancement Program (CAP) which will allow you to develop clinical leadership skills, have an opportunity to share your expertise with others, and be recognized for your experience, knowledge, and clinical expertise. All new hires will begin at the appropriate CAP level based on prior experience and education.
Our culture: We believe our employees are our most important asset — we value, care about, and support our people. We are there when you may need us most, from tuition reimbursement to support your education goals, scholarships to family members, relief when natural disasters strike, and financial support when personal hardship hits; we take care of our people.
Our focus on diversity: We have built a nurturing environment that welcomes every age, race, gender, sexual orientation, background, and cultural tradition. We have a diverse range of employee resource groups (ERGs) to encourage employees with similar interests, goals, social and cultural backgrounds, or experiences to come together for professional and personal development, discussion, activities, and peer support. Our diverse workforce and culture encourage opportunity, equity, and inclusion for all, which is a tremendous asset that sets us apart.
At Fresenius Medical Care, you will truly make a difference in the lives of people living with kidney disease. If this sounds like the career and company you have been looking for, and you want to be a vital part of the future of healthcare, apply today.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a member of the nephrology health care team, you will participate in decision-making, teaching, leadership functions, and quality improvement activities that enhance patient care outcomes in the inpatient environment.
- Provides safe effective patient care and perform all essential functions of Acute RN under supervision.
- Documents and enters patient data –before, during and after dialysis treatment.
- Monitors and recognizes aspects and implications of patient status that vary from normal and modify the treatment plan in collaboration with appropriate healthcare team members.
- Communicates with dialysis providers and appropriate hospital personnel to provide continuity of patient care.
- Administers medications as prescribed and in accordance with contractual agreement.
- Ensures nephrology physician orders for assigned patients are received and entered in the medical record.
- Be familiar with both Fresenius Medical Care and hospital emergency policies and initiate or assist with emergency response measures.
- Delegates appropriate tasks to direct patient care staff.
- Monitors patient care staff for appropriate techniques and adherence to Fresenius Medical Care policy and procedures.
- Promotes infection control, equipment, and environmental safety.
- Provides initial and ongoing education to patients and family.
- Coaches hospital staff on specialized care related to renal replacement and apheresis therapies (as needed).
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to update the care plan for assigned patients.
- Completes and document ongoing participation in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
- Serves as a resource for healthcare team and participates in staff training and orientation of new staff as assigned.
- Assists in an outpatient facility on an as needed basis.
- All duties and responsibilities are expected to be performed in accordance with Fresenius Kidney Care and applicable contractual service policy, procedures, standards of nursing practice, state, and federal regulations.
- Complete CAP requirements to either maintain or advance within the program.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE:
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
- Current appropriate state licensure.
- Current or successful completion of CPR BLS Certification.
- Must meet the practice requirements in the state in which he or she is employed.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Qualities and traits: compassion, caring, support for colleagues, collaborative, reliable, flexible, independent.
- Minimum of 9 months experience as a Registered Nurse (bonus but not required).
- Hemodialysis and/or ICU experience (bonus but not required).
- Minimum 6 months nephrology experience required before working independently and/or be on-call.
- Successfully pass a Ishihara’s Color Blindness Test.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Areas of practice are diverse, including, but not limited to, the fields of hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, continuous renal replacement therapies, and apheresis.
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves heavy lifting and moving of patients and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance.
- This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing and the employee must be able to bend over.
- The employee may occasionally be required to move, with assistance, machines and equipment of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemical and water solutions of up to 30 lbs. as high as 5 feet.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
- May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
- May be asked to provide essential functions of this position in other locations with the same physical demands and working conditions as described above.
- Day-to-day work includes desk work, computer work, and interaction with patients, facility/hospital staff, and physicians. The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community and travel to regional meetings may be required.
- Position requires participation in on-call rotation. (Nights, weekends, or as defined by individual program needs
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
You have a lot of independence...so the doctors trust you. You have to be able to make decisions on your own.Lesly, Inpatient Services RN
We've got your back.
We fully believe that dedication and passion should be recognized and rewarded. That’s why we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to all of our employees. Our benefits provide the flexibility, choice and support you need to be at your best as you play a vital part in helping patients live longer, better and healthier lives.
- Healthcare FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
Tuition Assistance and CEU reimbursements ($500/year for full‑time; $350/year for part‑time)
Paid Time Off
Paid Time Off
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time. PTO can also be reimbursed for cash for up to 80 hours per year.
The elevated responsibility of Inpatient RNs helps foster confidence and leadership skills, and allows for a more holistic role in the treatment process.
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(K) Retirement Saving
401(K) Retirement Saving
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
We are so glad you are interested in a career with FMCNA! What happens next?
Application & Assessment
First you will need to complete your online application. Some roles may also require an online assessment to be completed.
Then a recruiter will review the applications submitted and select those most aligned with the role to move forward. If selected, The recruiter will contact you to schedule the next step.
Next, you will participate in phone/video interview(s) with our recruiter & leadership team.
The recruiter will provide feedback to you on your interview(s) and update you on any hiring decisions.
Next, the recruiter will extend a formal offer if you are selected for the position.
Lastly, you will accept your offer and complete pre-employment checks and paperwork.
Learn more about working at Fresenius Medical Care at an upcoming hiring event near you.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.