Available Openings 1
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Functions as part of the healthcare team utilizing advanced education, skills, and judgment to deliver advanced nursing care and achieve optimal patient outcomes through critical analysis, problem solving and evidence-based decision making. Collaborates with a multidisciplinary care team to improve outcomes and ensure the safe and effective delivery of patient care. Provides stage specific patient education regarding co-morbidities. Provides clinical and administrative oversight and direction of the clinic in the absence of the immediate Supervisor.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilizes advanced education, skills and judgment to appropriately assess patient needs, deliver advanced quality nursing care and achieve optimal patient outcomes for patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) stages 3-5.
- Obtains patient history, performs appropriate physical exams, orders, interprets and evaluates diagnostic tests and lab values to identify and assess patient’s health care needs.
- Observes patient, records physical findings, documents condition and reaction to drugs, treatments and significant incidents and formulates a plan and prognosis based on patient’s condition.
- Advises MD on CKD guideline recommendations and facilitates CKD co-morbidity management when ordered by MD either directly or via algorithm.
- Prescriptive authority to prescribe and order medications as needed including binders, iron, erythropoietin (EPO), anti-hypertensive medications and cholesterol lowering medications.
- Administers parenteral erythropoietic stimulating agents or iron agents when ordered by MD and consistent with current CKD clinic algorithm based on evidence based literature.
- Collects and monitors patient outcomes on an ongoing basis and develops an appropriate plan of care for each patient.
- Assure patient’s need for immediate and/or emergent care is handled promptly and appropriately.
- Ensure efficient workflow process within the CKD clinic.
- Collaborates with a multidisciplinary care team including Dietitians, Educators and Physicians to improve outcomes, slow the progression of CKD and ensure the safe and effective delivery of care to CKD patients.
- Ensures educational needs of patients are met by providing one-on-one patient education regarding CKD and its co-morbidities.
- Provide on-going education to patients regarding CKD and other related health conditions.
- Teach stage specific CKD education classes including topics such as Kidneys in Health and Sickness, Kidney Protection, Cardiovascular Risks in CKD, emphasizing adverse outcomes associated with catheters, importance of vein preservation and timely elective permanent access creation.
- Provide patient education to help delay the progression of CKD by promoting blood pressure management, renal anemia management, medication adherence, self-care management and establishing a close working relationship with primary healthcare providers.
- Provides clinical and administrative oversight, supervision and direction of the clinic in the absence of the CKD Clinic Manager as needed ensuring safe and effective delivery of patient care in compliance with standards outlined in the facility procedure manual.
- Enters pertinent patient clinical data into ACUMEN as received from MD office or other providers.
- Provides clinical feedback to referring MDs when appropriate, to include notifying MD of any problem or abnormality beyond the normal scope of her/his practice.
- Serves as a liaison with dialysis facilities and arranges referrals providing detailed patient information to help streamline the transition to renal replacement therapy as needed.
- Ensures patient admission packets are completed on every patient.
- Ensures APRN information is entered accurately on CKD Services Billing log daily and submitted to the appropriate Billing Group.
- Participates in monthly CQI/QAI activities, leads the meeting in the absence of the Medical Director as needed.
- Remains up-to-date and current on advances and trends in CKD care treatment, guidelines, policies and procedures. Ensures new procedures, treatments and procedures is disseminated to the members of the MDT.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians. The position may require travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. Travel to Regional, Divisional and Corporate meetings may be required. The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
- Travel-20% is required for this role.
- Graduate of accredited School of Nursing (RN)
- Graduate of accredited School of Nursing Nurse Practitioner Program
- Master’s Degree in Nursing if required by State Law
- Current state specific licensure
- State authorization to practice in an expanded role
- DEA Licensure
- UPIN number or eligibility
- Maintain BCLS certification
- Must Maintain State and Professional Licensure requirements
- American Nephrology Nurses Association and other Nephrology Nurses Association membership preferred
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Minimum of 1 year professional work experience as Nurse Practitioner preferably in the field of Nephrology.
- Previous professional experience in renal, cardiovascular and other co-morbid conditions preferred.
- Medicare provider number encouraged.
- Demonstrated leadership competencies and skills for the position, including ability to teach, strong organizational skills, excellent communication, customer service, relationship development, results orientation, team building and decision-making.
- Independent practitioner.
- Basic computer skills required. Experience with EHR preferred.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
You do not have any saved jobs