Patient Care Technicians (PCTs) at Fresenius Medical Care support and collaborate with RNs to provide dialysis treatment to several patients at a time while maintaining the functionality of the clinic. This involves prepping and testing equipment, reviewing treatment sheets, and opening the clinic at 4am for first shift. PCTs have a combination of technical skills and genuine passion needed to develop deep relationships with patients and improve their quality of life. Qualified candidates have prior customer service, healthcare and direct patient care experience, and will have the opportunity to learn the discipline of dialysis.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
Job DescriptionAllentown, Pennsylvania Job ID JR0000129
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Functionsas part of the Inpatient Services Hemodialysis Health Care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for assigned patients inaccordance with FMCNA policies, procedures, and training and in compliance with regulations set forth by the corporation, state, and federalagencies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Providespatient care under the directsupervision of Hemodialysis Registered Nurse for assignedpatient(s) in the dialysissuite in the acutesetting; excluding Intensive Care Units.
- Responsible for reporting and documenting all new and unusual incidents, information, complaints, or problems to the RN.
- Promotes andassists in themaintenance of a safe and cleanworking environment. Supportsthe FMCNA commitment to the Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAI) Activities; including those related to patientsatisfaction and actively participates in process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that patients will achievethe FKC Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
- With documented competency and proficiency may set up and prime equipment as directed by the FreseniusNurse for renal replacement therapies(hemodialysis, continuous renal replacement and peritoneal dialysis therapies).
- Will be responsible for assuring the dialysis machine hasbeen set up, tested and found to be safe fordialysis treatment in accordance with manufacturer instructions for use and company policy and procedures.
- Welcomes assignedpatients and inquires as to their well-being since their last treatment. Reports any complaints or observations to the FMCNA RN.
- Obtains necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight. Reportsunusual findingsto FMCNA RN.
- Reports any difficulties in cannulation to FMCNA RN as permitted by state requirements; or unusual findings to FMCNA RN.
- Responsible for accuratedocumentation of information related to the patienttreatment. This information is documented appropriately in the individual patient record to include the hospital Electronic Medical System (EMS) and the Acute Care Electronic System (ACES).
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients'dialysis machineprogramming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal; treatmenttime; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as prescribed.
- Responsible for ensuringappropriate safety alarmsare enabled including narrowvenous limits (NVL 160).
- Collects, labels specimens and ensurestimely delivery to laboratory per facilitypolicy.
- Evaluates intradialytic problemsand provides intervention as prescribedby physician's order or as directedby FMCNA RN. Monitorspatient's responseto dialysis therapyand report any unusual findingsto FMCNA RN.
- Obtains vital signs prior to reinfusion; performing all relevant functionsnecessary for the discontinuation of treatment- documentation.
- Reports any change or unusual findingsto FMCNA RN.
- Evaluates patient prior to termination of venousaccess - standing and sitting blood pressures prior to termination of venousaccess. Obtains hemostasis and appliesappropriate dressings. Evaluates the patientprior to dischargeand reports any unusualfindings to the FMCNA RN
- Review and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Assist with various projectsas assigned by direct supervisor or supervising RN.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focuson one or moredepartments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or locationspecific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functionsof this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Day-to-day work includes personalcomputer work while standingand sitting, interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
The position requires travel between assignedfacilities and variouslocations within the community.
The work environment is characteristic of a healthcare facility with air temperature control and moderatenoise levels.
May be exposedto infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
The position providesdirect patient care that regularlyinvolves heavy liftingand moving of patients, and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provideassistance.
This position requires frequent,prolonged periodsof standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The employeemay occasionally be required to assist in moving machinesand equipment of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemicaland water solutions of up to 30 lbs. up as high as 5 feet.
There is a two-person assist program and material assist� devices for the heavier items.
High School Diploma required
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
None required. At least 6 months' experience is preferred in relatedField (EMT, SurgicalTechnicians, Army, Phlebotomists, and technicians).
Must obtain CCHT within 18 monthsof hire.
Effective communication skills - both verbaland written.
Employees are required to take the Ishihara's ColorBlindness test as a conditionof employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara Test for Color Blindnessdoes not preclude employment. The Company will consider whetherreasonable accommodations can be made.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Commpassionate Patient Care
- Team Player
- Detail Oriented
From the patients to the staff, we are very much each other’s support system. We see the same patients multiple times a week and we get to know their spouses, children, grandchildren, moms, and dads. You get to know your patients on a human level and see how full their lives are.Bryan L., Travel Patient Care Technician
We've got your back.
We fully believe that dedication and passion should be recognized and rewarded. That's why we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to all of our employees. Our benefits provide the flexibility, choice and support you need to be at your best as you play a vital part in helping patients live longer, better and healthier lives.
- Healthcare FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Defined Career Path (certifications, preceptor opportunities, salary increases at each stage)
Paid Time Off
Paid Time Off
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time.
- Employee Pride
- Valued Team Members
- Motivation for Excellence
- Respect & Dignity
- Openness & Trust
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(K) Retirement Saving
401(K) Retirement Saving
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
We are so glad you are interested in a career with FMCNA! What happens next?
Application & Assessment
First you will need to complete your online application. Some roles may also require an online assessment to be completed.
Then a recruiter will review the applications submitted and select those most aligned with the role to move forward. If selected, The recruiter will contact you to schedule the next step.
Next, you will participate in phone/video interview(s) with our recruiter & leadership team.
The recruiter will provide feedback to you on your interview(s) and update you on any hiring decisions.
Next, the recruiter will extend a formal offer if you are selected for the position.
Lastly, you will accept your offer and complete pre-employment checks and paperwork.
Learn more about working at Fresenius Medical Care at an upcoming hiring event near you.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.