R&D Scientist II - Polymer and MembraneApply Now Current Employee? Job ID 17000B9S
Global Research & Development
Our Global Commitment to Deliver
Around 3 million individuals worldwide suffer from renal failure. With innovative products and therapies we define highest standards for the dialysis treatment of patients with chronic kidney failure and extracorporeal therapies for organ support.
Our Global Research & Development (GRD) activities enable us to develop products efficiently and to systematically promote the exchange of knowledge and technology between regions. Our intention to develop innovative products that are not only of the highest quality, but are also affordable so that caregivers and patients can benefit from them.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Fiber Development Scientist II conducts research and development work on novel projects in the field of medical products for use in dialysis or related process. Requires initiating, maintaining and controlling the timeline of major project(s). Develops detailed engineering and scientific experiments to execute the projects. Provides technical support to other departments.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct research and development work on projects in the field of medical products for use in dialysis or related processes.
- Develop experiments in supporting hollow fiber development.
- Strong background in polymer science, particularly polymer synthesis, polymer extrusion, and molding.
- Plan, coordinate, direct, track, and execute well-defined, short-term R&D project.
- Design and conduct experiments and engineering studies to broaden the fundamental understanding of Fiber Membrane production and processes.
- Provide technical support to other departments.
- Act as project leader for multiple R&D projects.
- Responsible for developing scientific technology platforms for company products.
- Prepare patent disclosures, journal publication submissions, and presentation abstracts.Assist patent lawyers with development of patent documentation.
- Participate in cross-functional teams on new product development and manufacturing problem-solving efforts.
- Self-motivated to improve knowledge related to research projects by continuous assessment of current publications.
- Keep familiar with current scientific technology in fields relating to company products.
- Contribute to the generation of ideas and potential inventions to be used in new products.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit, occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle; reach with hands and arms and wear personal protective equipment that may include safety glasses, hearing protection, smock, etc.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles up to 1/4 of the time. These may include fumes from diluted Formaldehyde and Glutaraldehyde or DMAC.
- May be required to use toxic or caustic materials up to 1/4 of the time. This may include diluted solutions of Formaldehyde, Peracetic Acid, Citric Acid and Glutaraldehyde.
- May be required to use bovine or human blood products including bovine or human blood, and bovine or human serum.
- Hepatitis B inoculation is required.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering Biochemistry, Physics, Chemistry, or applied sciences required
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 2 – 5 years’ related experience; or an advanced degree without experience; or equivalent directly related work experience.
- Must have good knowledge of chemistry, biology, material science, polymer science.
- Preferred field of study: Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Material Engineering/Science, Polymer Science
- Desired skills: Matlab, Mathcad, Maple, PLC programming, Autocad, Solidworks, computer modeling, and understanding of membrane technology.
- Minimum skills: Good communication skills, good computer skills, good understanding of scientific process, and good analytical instrumentation and theory skills
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity