The chart below shows a general breakdown of time spent performing typical tasks for this role.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Directs, administers and controls the day to day operations and activities of assigned Inpatient Services programs across a specified Region ensuring compliance with established company and regulatory guidelines and procedures in order to provide high quality dialysis service, excellent customer service and outstanding patient care. Participates in the implementation of divisional and company initiatives and strategies. Practices cost containment strategies, maintaining profitability and growth of the assigned Inpatient Services program while ensuring compliance with all pertinent company policies, hospital policies and procedures and regulatory requirements.
Supports FMCNA’s mission, vision, core values and customer service philosophy as well as the FMS UltraCare mission, values and standards. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including following all regulatory and FMS policy requirements.
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Directs and oversees the Inpatient Services business within a defined Region through effective leadership and management of customer service, quality patient care, marketing of FMS and responsible fiscal management. Coordinates operation strategies and activities to ensure the provision of outstanding quality patient care and dialysis services while adhering to regulatory and company guidelines and requirements ensuring efficiency and economy
- Participates in the development of area strategic plans, goals and objectives ensuring alignment with those of the region, division and company. Implements, disseminates and administers operations strategies and objectives to ensure the achievement of the division’s and company’s goals and objectives. Implements Inpatient Services program-specific and area quality goals and action plans in order to achieve FMS quality standards.
- Provides leadership, support and guidance to Inpatient Services program management including Acute Care Managers, Acute Coordinators and other support staff. Provides informal feedback on an ongoing basis and formal feedback in the annual performance evaluation process. May have direct and/or indirect responsibility for inpatient staff and contracts within Region. Manages the staffing through the appropriate hiring, firing and disciplinary actions in collaboration with HR.
- Responsible for aggressively addressing and acting upon adverse events and action thresholds in area of responsibility.
- Mentors, supports and provides subject matter expertise to Acute Care Managers/Acute Coordinators within region.
- Collaborates with RVP to develop clinic budgets, monitoring performance to ensure optimal, efficient and effective operations practices within regulatory and company guidelines.
- Responsible for profit and loss management of each assigned program including optimal performance of program operations to achieve or exceed budgets and key performance indicators.
- Manages the payroll and oversees facility expenses and accounts payable for the assigned area practicing cost containment strategies as appropriate.
- Reviews the balance sheet and income statement regarding revenue on a frequent basis to understand the status of the business.
- Determines impact of proposed changes and identified improvements prior to implementation to ensure a positive effect.
- Accountable for implementing and driving the Acute Staffing and Medical Supply Models and other FMS business initiatives including the prompt implementation of corrective action plans for acute programs with below threshold performance.
- Ensures efficient and economical performance in accordance with Acute program operating budgets and takes the appropriate actions to ensure the attainment of profit and year-end goals and objectives. Responsible for the implementation and achievement of the business plan and key performance indicators. Reviews analysis of performance including financial and productivity data for area with RVP and makes the appropriate changes in strategies, goals an objectives responding to current status and conditions. Coordinates and oversees all logistics associated with patient care within the assigned area.
- Ensures all employees receive the appropriate training and education according to FMS policies and procedures including ongoing compliance training.
- Acts as the primary liaison between the company and the Medical Directors, hospital administration and referring physicians, ensuring appropriate communication of company initiatives. Responsible for developing and maintaining strong Medical Director physician and hospital administration relationships and facilitating Acute Manager and staff relationships with physicians and hospital administration.
- Prepares reports and audits current procedures and processes to monitor efficiency of operations.
- Practices risk management strategies and collaborates with internal and external legal counsel as appropriate to resolve legal issues with goal of reducing company exposure.
- Maintains current knowledge regarding community and regional healthcare market and industry issues which may impact business. Utilizes current knowledge of FMCNA products, services and strategies to market the company and grow the business.
- Ensures and promotes the development of the area management team/succession planning through coaching, training and leadership development.
- Collaborates with the VP of Inpatient Services, Sr. Director of Inpatient Services, RVP, DO and local Market Development group to ensure the growth of all acute related modalities.
- Ensures a strong and robust communications process between all managers and staff within the area and across the division as needed by leading communications sessions and meetings with managers and ensuring the appropriate dissemination of communications to direct patient care and support staff within the area.
- Responsible and accountable for maintenance of environmental integrity including water systems within designated area.
- Oversees Privacy and Security compliance according to the FMCNA and FMS Risk Management and Compliance requirements.
- Participates in all pertinent FMS training and development opportunities to grow and develop business knowledge, and skills and leadership competencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians. The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community. Travel to regional, Division and Corporate meetings may be required.
The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
- Bachelor’s degree required with concentration in Business, Finance or Healthcare preferred
- OR RN degree with equivalent (3 years) healthcare management experience in lieu of bachelors’ degree.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- 3 – 5 years of business operations management and leadership experience preferably in healthcare, acute dialysis experience a plus.
- Demonstrated leadership and management competencies and skills including excellent financial competence, operational excellence, exceptional communication and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated practice of continuous quality improvement and relationship development.
- Results oriented.
- Excellent skills for team building, motivating employees, performance management and decision making.