PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Dispenses drugs prescribed by physicians and other health practitioners and provide information to patients about medications and their use. May advise physicians and other health practitioners on the selection, dosage, interactions, and side effects of medications.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, implements, and maintains procedures for mixing, packaging, or labeling pharmaceuticals, according to policy and legal requirements, to ensure quality, security, and proper disposal.
- Monitors drug therapies for drug interactions, allergies and contraindications.
- Controls medications by monitoring drug therapies; advising interventions.
- Ensures accuracy of all prescriptions by checking all orders, identifies any inconsistencies and initiate appropriate action.
- Obtains all licenses required for shipment of Rx products in coordination with Regulatory Affairs.
- Maintains all required files to include: prescription files, patient files and profiles.
- Provides clinical consultations to internal personnel regarding medication for drug interactions, side effects and dosage. Ensures the appropriate storage and security of medicinal products and supplements to provide purity, freshness and potency.
- Maintains continuous knowledge with all current pharmacy practices and new drugs by participating in continuing education programs as required by each state board of pharmacy. Keep up with all company regulatory standards and policies.
- Provides reports as needed, including state required drug monitoring programs.
- Maintains pharmacy supplies.
- Provides pharmacy coverage with daily schedules, vacation schedules, and call offs due to illness during pharmacy business hours.
- Provides documented orientation and training for different departmental staff. Provide review and evaluation of staff if needed.
- May provide assistance to junior level staff with more complex tasks that require a higher level of understanding of functions.
- May escalate issues to supervisor/manager for resolution, as deemed necessary.
- Mentors other staff as applicable.
- Reviews and complies with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures, local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Assists with various projects as assigned by a direct supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides coverage for any emergency orders for weekends and after hours.
- Serves as after-hours/on-call pharmacist for counseling.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Advanced Degree desirable.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 1 year experience required.
- Must be willing to secure jurisprudence in individual states which require separate pharmacy licenses before granting reciprocity with their state on an as needed basis.
- Strong computer skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- In-depth knowledge of pharmacy laws for Rx drugs and devices.
- Familiarity with the process involved in the manufacture of dialysis preparation.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
You do not have any saved jobs