Patient Care Technicians (PCTs) at Fresenius Medical Care support and collaborate with RNs to provide dialysis treatment to several patients at a time while maintaining the functionality of the clinic. This involves prepping and testing equipment, reviewing treatment sheets, and opening the clinic at 4am for first shift. PCTs have a combination of technical skills and genuine passion needed to develop deep relationships with patients and improve their quality of life. Qualified candidates have prior customer service, healthcare and direct patient care experience, and will have the opportunity to learn the discipline of dialysis.
Job DescriptionJob ID R0114294 Available Openings 1
Willing to train or Training Provided
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Supports FMCNA’s mission, vision, core values and customer service philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including following all regulatory and FMS policy requirements.
Functions as part of the hemodialysis health care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for patients under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse in accordance with FMCNA policies, procedures, and training and in compliance with regulations set forth by the corporation, state, and federal agencies. Responsible for the setup and operation of hemodialysis machines. Assist in the maintenance of a safe and clean working environment.
Supports the FMCNA commitment to the Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and CQI Activities, including those related to patient satisfaction and actively participates in process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve the FMC Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
- Assist other health care members in providing patient specific detailed education regarding adequacy measures where appropriate - Online Clearance Monitoring (OLC), Adequacy Monitoring Program (AMP), Urea Kinetic Modeling (UKM), and regarding disease process/access.
- Welcome assigned patients and inquire as to their wellbeing since their last treatment. Report any complaints or observations to the nurse supervisor.
- Evaluate vascular access for patency and report any unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Obtain necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight. Report unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Perform vascular access evaluation pre-treatment and report unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Perform vascular access cannulation and report any difficulties in cannulation or unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Perform administration of Heparin as delegated or as allowed by state law.
- Initiate dialysis treatment according to prescribed orders including blood flow (QB) and dialysate flow (QD).
- Evaluate intradialytic problems and provide intervention as prescribed by physician order or as directed.
- Monitor patients’ response to dialysis therapy and report any unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Obtain vital signs prior to reinfusion; perform all relevant functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment - document.
- Discontinue dialysis treatment according to established procedures.
- Evaluate patient prior to termination of venous access - standing & sitting blood pressure.
- Obtain Hemostasis and apply appropriate dressings.
- Evaluate the patient prior to discharge and report any unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Perform and record Pre and Post dialysis evaluation, weight and vital signs with initial identification.
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients’ dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal; treatment time; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as prescribed.
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled, including Narrow Venous Limits (NVL) 160.
- ·Record accurate and timely information regarding vital signs and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with initial identification.
- Responsible for accurate documentation of information related to patient treatment including completion of Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet and, if applicable, progress notes.
- Report any significant information and/or change in patient condition directly to the nurse supervisor.
- Observe patient, and conduct machine safety checks according to facility policy. Report any change or unusual findings to the nurse supervisor.
- Perform and document any intervention for unusual patient status and document patients' response to intervention.
- Evaluate patients’ vascular access during treatment including arterial and venous monitoring pressures, provide appropriate intervention as needed, document and report any unusual findings to the nurse supervisor.
- Obtain all prescribed laboratory testing and prepare specimens for collection.
- Maintain environmental integrity and aesthetics - ensure all areas are safe and clean.
- Clean and disinfect dialysis machine surface, chair, equipment, and surrounding area between treatments according to facility policy.
- Conduct all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis treatment and document where appropriate.
- Perform all required pretreatment dialysis machine alarm testing including Pressure Holding (PHT).
- Initiate Solution Delivery System (SDS) system.
- Ensure that all blood spills are immediately cleaned with appropriate disinfectant according to facility policy.
- Prepare, organize, and efficiently utilize supplies and equipment to prevent wastage.
CLERICAL & ADMINISTRATIVE:
- Complete and document ongoing participation in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
- Enter all treatment data into the designated clinical application accurately and in a timely manner.
- Review treatment sheets for completeness, ensure nursing signatures are documented, and ensure omitted entries are completed or corrected where appropriate.
- Prepare initial patient chart for admission and compile paperwork for appropriate placement in chart.
- Prepare lab requisitions for prescribed or stat Lab specimens according to laboratory destination.
- Collect, label, appropriately prepare and store lab samples according required laboratory specifications.
- Ensure collection of lab specimens by appropriate lab courier.
Perform additional duties as assigned.
EDUCATION:(as of April 14, 2010)
- Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services (CMS)-approved state and/or national certification or High school diploma or G.E.D. and must meet certification requirements within the required state or CMS timeline.
- All appropriate state licensure, education and training (if any) required.
- Previous patient care experience in a hospital setting or related facility preferred.
- Employees have to meet the necessary requirements of Ishihara's Color Blindness test as a condition of employment.
- Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of the FMCNA dialysis training program and successful completion of CPR certification.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
The rate of pay for this position will depend on the successful candidate’s work location and qualifications, including relevant education, work experience, skills, and competencies. Hourly Rate: $22.63 - $28.88
What makes a successful member of our team? Check out the top traits we are looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Commpassionate Patient Care
- Team Player
- Detail Oriented
From the patients to the staff, we are very much each other’s support system. We see the same patients multiple times a week and we get to know their spouses, children, grandchildren, moms, and dads. You get to know your patients on a human level and see how full their lives are.Bryan L., Travel Patient Care Technician
We've got your back.
We fully believe that dedication and passion should be recognized and rewarded. That’s why we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to all of our employees. Our benefits provide the flexibility, choice and support you need to be at your best as you play a vital part in helping patients live longer, better and healthier lives.
- Healthcare FSA
- Tuition Reimbursement
- efined Career Path (certifications, preceptor opportunities, salary increases at each stage)
Paid Time Off
Paid Time Off
Flexibility in using PTO for vacation, holiday and personal time.
- Employee Pride
- Valued Team Members
- Motivation for Excellence
- Respect & Dignity
- Openness & Trust
- Adoption Assistance
- Wireless, Automobile and Computer Discounts
- Discount Fitness Program
401(k) Retirement Saving
401(k) Retirement Saving
Competitive vesting schedules and a company match of 50 cents for each dollar you save up to the first 6% of your salary (3% additional) after one year of employment.
We are so glad you are interested in a career with FMCNA! What happens next?
Application & Assessment
First you will need to complete your online application. Some roles may also require an online assessment to be completed.
Then a recruiter will review the applications submitted and select those most aligned with the role to move forward. If selected, The recruiter will contact you to schedule the next step.
Next, you will participate in phone/video interview(s) with our recruiter & leadership team.
The recruiter will provide feedback to you on your interview(s) and update you on any hiring decisions.
Next, the recruiter will extend a formal offer if you are selected for the position.
Lastly, you will accept your offer and complete pre-employment checks and paperwork.
Learn more about working at Fresenius Medical Care at an upcoming hiring event near you.
Sign Up For Job Alerts
By signing up for Job Alerts, you'll receive the latest job openings based in your interests, skills and background sent directly to your inbox.
Join Our Talent Network
Joining our Talent Community allows us to send you company news, career event announcements and other career-related information.